The Mandatory Equipment
The following list will be mandatory equipment in the PATAGONIAN EXPEDITION RACE® 2022. Before the start of the race, the organization will check in detail each team’s gear. The competitors must be familiar with the use of the equipment and have certification to prove this.
The Rules and Regulations & Equipment list for PATAGONIAN EXPEDITION RACE® 2022 will be updated soon.
Personal equipment: This must be carried and transported by each member of the team at all times including the kayak stages, it is personal and non-transferable; it is subject to spot checks by the organization staff at any stage of the race. If a competitor does not comply, he/she could be penalized or disqualified according to (Article 38, Rules and Regulations PATAGONIAN EXPEDITION RACE® 2022).
Team equipment: This equipment can be distributed among the team members or can be carried by only one of them. It is subject to spot checks by the organization staff at any stage of the race. If the team does not comply, they can be penalized or disqualified according to (Article 38, Rules and Regulations PATAGONIAN EXPEDITION RACE® 2022).
We reserve the right to make changes to the following equipment list at any time for safety, logistical, climatic, or other purposes. Significant changes to the list will be advised directly to all team Captains.
EQUIPMENT TO BE CARRIED AT ALL TIMES
- 1 Headlamp (plus extra bulbs)
- 1 Backpack (everything must be in the backpack, it is prohibited to transport things on the outside, except the tent if necessary)
- 1 Emergency whistle
- 1 Pair of trekking poles (Recommended)
- 1 Sleeping bag (synthetic and rated by the manufacturer for 0°C comfort zone) recommended in a dry bag
- 1 Breathable and waterproof jacket
- 1 Jacket (Polar, primaloft, or similar)
- 1 Long-sleeved base layer (top and bottom)
- 1 Trekking pants
- 1 Pair of gloves (softshell recommended)
- 1 Hat / Buff
- 1 Hat for sun protection
- 1 Pair of gaiters
- 1 Pair of sunglasses
- 1 Race jersey provided by the organization
- 1 Tent for 4 persons (Minimum: 2.5m²) or two 2-person tents (Minimum: 1.5m²).
- 2 Compasses with adjustable declination
- Maps for the race, provided by the organization
- 1 Iridium Satellite telephone (not provided by the organization, to be used in emergency situations to ONLY contact the organization or emergency services)
- 1 GPS (Sealed by the organization to be used when a team withdrawals from the race). (NO GPS watches, or GPS capable bicycle odometers will be allowed. Also, you have to provide the software that your GPS uses and the cable to import the route). If a member of the organization determines it has been opened, the team will be disqualified.
- 2 Hand Flares
- 2 Survival mirrors (can be the same ones as on the compass)
- 1 First aid kit *
- 1 strong trash bag (this can be unloaded at each Checkpoint)
- A flag for each nation represented in the team. Minimum 75X110cm, Max 90X140.
*The complete list for the group first aid kits will be sent to registered team captains leading up to the event.
FOR THE KAYAK SECTIONS
- 1 Kayak paddle
- 1 Dry suit (full dry suits only) *Neoprene Suits NOT permitted
- 1 PFD Rated for 50N, or recognized international standard
- 1 Safety whistle fixed on the PDF
- 1 Nautical knife with fixed blade (NOT folding blade) and protective case fixed on the PDF or to the exterior of the kayak
- 1 Dry bag
- 2 VHF radios (With channel 12, 14,16, nautical band and waterproof case)
- 2 Waterproof strobe lights
- 1 Emergency spare paddle, separable in two parts (each part in one kayak)
- 2 Necky Amaruk kayaks, provided by the organization
- 4 Spray Skirts (cockpit size 50cm * 86cm)
- 2 Bailing buckets, provided by the organization
- 2 Paddle Floats, provided by the organization
- 2 Manual bilge pumps
- 2 Sea-kayak tow-rope systems with “quick release system”, of minimum 16m (50′) in length, in a bag that either attaches directly to the cockpit or can be worn like a belt
FOR THE MOUNTAIN BIKE SECTIONS
- 1 Mountain bike or tandem (tandems are not recommended by the organization)
- The required bicycle for the expedition is a CERTIFIED mountain bike (MTB), so as long as it is certified, the specific brand can vary depending on each participant’s personal preference. With that being said, we will permit the use of cyclocross bikes (such as Niner RLT9 or Slate Ultegra), but we please ask that participants consider the following:
1) Using a non-traditional mountain bike is the participant’s decision alone, and should be used at his or her own risk, as we both recommend all participants use a mountain bike and no changes will be permitted once the race has started.
2) Should a participant wish to use a cyclocross or other similar road-style bike, we please ask that you email email@example.com with the make, model, and specifications for approval.
- 1 Certified Helmet
- 1 Front white light
- 1 Rear red light (must be standard battery type or multiple LED. Not just a single LED)
(Recommended, but each team’s responsibility to remember that NO outside support is permitted)
- 1 Inflator device
- 1 Complete tool kit for mountain bike
- 2 Spare bike inner tubes and repair kit
- 2 Odometers (kilometers) – NO GPS
- Other equipment according to experience / preference with team’s specific bike
FOR MOUNTAIN TREKKING SECTIONS
*ALL rope equipment MUST be UIAA Certified
- 1 Climbing or multisport helmet, (can be the same helmet used for the bike section, but MUST be homologated for MTB and be UIAA certified.
- 1 Standard, waist climbing harness (UIAA)
- 1 Locking carabiners (UIAA)
- 1 Auxiliary Rope 6mm diameter x 2 meters long (UIAA)
- 1 Pair of ice spikes, crampons, or other similar make / model
- 1 pair of ascenders (Minimum 1) with webbing to secure the harness (UIAA) (tiblok is prohibited)
- 1 Double anchor lanyard (Y-shaped example) or 1 anchoring sling or 1 daisy chain (UIAA)
- 1 Descending device (Minimum 1) (UIAA approved, figure 8 NOT allowed)
- 2 Traverse ice picks (Minimum 2) (UIAA)
- 1 Rope 8mm diameter x 30 meters long (Minimum Size) (UIAA)
FOR EQUIPMENT TRANSPORTATION
1 Large / Long bag to hold all the kayak equipment (lifejackets, dry suits, paddles, etc.) of the entire team.
- *1 bag to hold all paddles (this bag must also close properly, fully enclosing all the paddles); however, teams can instead elect to include their paddles in their 1 large / long bag for all kayak equipment.
- 1 Bag to hold all the mountain bike equipment of the entire team
- 4 Plastic (rigid or flexible) bike boxes or bike bags (bike bags under your own responsibility). We will not accept cardboard boxes or cartons.
- 1 Bag to hold all the mountain trekking gear (Eg: ice picks, rope, etc.)
- 5 Bags to hold other equipment and food for the race (max: 100 ltrs per bag). These bags are primarily for food and nourishment, but can include additional replacement gear, such as batteries, clothes, gas, etc. as well.
- 1 Bag to hold various articles and change of clothing for the end of the race
* Optional, as teams may elect to include paddles in the same bag for all kayak equipment.
All the gear must fit into these bags. It is prohibited to use trash bags as official bags! Also, it is prohibited to hang equipment on the outside of bags or to be carried separately! We will not accept more bags than above mentioned.
The organization will be in charge of transporting these bags. Please make sure that all bags close well and that no gear can fall out.
* Prohibited to make fire / bonfire for any reason during race, and will automatically result in disqualification.
* For safety and security reasons, the Pack Raft will NOT be permitted for use in the expedition.
If you have specific queries relating to pieces of equipment, please send them to us as soon as possible via firstname.lastname@example.org. Decisions will be made available to all teams at regular intervals (without naming the team) as part of our regular team updates.