The Mandatory Equipment
This equipment list is a reference, as it will be updated in the next weeks and can even be modified before the race due to conditions of the surrounding terrain and the harshness of the winter prior to the event.
The following list will be mandatory equipment in the PATAGONIAN EXPEDITION RACE® 2020. Before the start of the race, the organization will check in detail each team’s gear. The competitors must be familiar with the use of the equipment and have certification to prove this.
Personal equipment: This must be carried and transported by each member of the team at all times, it is personal and non-transferable; it is subject to spot checks by the organization staff at any stage of the race. If a competitor does not comply, he/she could be penalized or disqualified.
Team equipment: This equipment can be distributed among the team members or can be carried by only one of them. It is subject to spot checks by the organization staff at any stage of the race. If the team does not comply, they can be penalized or disqualified.
We reserve the right to make changes to the following equipment list at any time for safety, logistical, climatic, or other purposes. Significant changes to the list will be advised directly to all team Captains.
EQUIPMENT TO BE CARRIED AT ALL TIMES
- 1 Headlamp (plus extra bulbs)
- 1 Backpack (everything must be in the backpack, it is prohibited to transport things on the outside, except the tent if necessary)
- 1 Emergency whistle
- 1 Pair of trekking poles (Recommended)
- 1 Sleeping bag (synthetic and rated by the manufacturer for 0°C comfort zone) recommended in a dry bag
- 1 Breathable and waterproof jacket
- 1 Jacket (Polar, primaloft, or similar)
- 1 Long-sleeved base layer (top and bottom)
- 1 Trekking pants
- 1 Pair of gloves (softshell recommended)
- 1 Hat / Buff
- 1 Hat for sun protection
- 1 Pair of gaiters
- 1 Pair of sunglasses
- 1 Race jersey provided by the organization
- 1 satellite tracking device with coverage in Patagonia´s extreme South: Garmin InReach, with a high-enough plan to allow tracking every 20 minutes during 20 days and at least 40 messages. These devices must be configured with the company to be included on the official tracking page of the Organization.
- 1 portable charging station (Power Bank – at least 2,600 mAh) or replacement batteries (depending on type of device)
- 1 Tent 2 persons (Minimum: 1.5m²)
- 1 Compasses with adjustable declination
- Maps for the race, provided by the organization
- 1 Iridium Satellite telephone (not provided by the organization, to be used in emergency situations to ONLY contact the organization or emergency services)
- 1 GPS and replacement batteries
- 2 Hand Flares
- 2 Survival mirrors (can be the same ones as on the compass)
- 1 First aid kit *
- 1 strong trash bag (this can be unloaded at each Checkpoint)
- A flag for each nation represented in the team. Minimum 75X110cm, Max 90X140.
*The complete list for the group first aid kits will be sent to registered team captains leading up to the event.
FOR THE MOUNTAIN BIKE SECTIONS
- 1 Mountain bike or tandem (tandems are not recommended by the organization)
- The required bicycle for the expedition is a CERTIFIED mountain bike (MTB), so as long as it is certified, the specific brand can vary depending on each participant’s personal preference. With that being said, we will permit the use of cyclocross bikes (such as Niner RLT9 or Slate Ultegra), but participants must understand that using a non-traditional mountain bike is the participant´s decision and responsibility.
- 1 Certified Helmet
- 1 Front white light
- 1 Rear red light (must be standard battery type or multiple LED. Not just a single LED)
(Recommended, but each team’s responsibility to remember that NO outside support is permitted)
- 1 Inflator device
- 1 Complete tool kit for mountain bike
- 2 Spare bike inner tubes and repair kit
- 2 Odometers (kilometers)
- Other equipment according to experience / preference with team’s specific bike
FOR MOUNTAIN TREKKING SECTIONS
*ALL rope equipment MUST be UIAA Certified
- 1 Climbing or multisport helmet, (can be the same helmet used for the bike section, but MUST be homologated for MTB and be UIAA certified.
- 1 Standard, waist climbing harness (UIAA)
- 1 Locking carabiners (UIAA)
- 1 Auxiliary Rope 6mm diameter x 2 meters long (UIAA)
- 1 Pair of crampons (UIAA)
- 1 Traverse ice pick (UIAA)
- 1 Rope 8mm diameter x 30 meters long (Minimum Size) (UIAA)
FOR EQUIPMENT TRANSPORTATION
- 1 Bag to hold all the mountain bike equipment of the entire team
- 2 Plastic (rigid or flexible) bike boxes or bike bags (bike bags under your own responsibility). We will not accept cardboard boxes or cartons.
- 1 Bag to hold all the mountain trekking gear
- 4 Bags to hold other equipment and food for the race (max: 100 ltrs per bag). These bags are primarily for food and nourishment, but can include additional replacement gear, such as batteries, clothes, gas, etc. as well.
- 1 Bag to hold various articles and change of clothing for the end of the race
All the gear must fit into these bags. It is prohibited to use trash bags as official bags! Also, it is prohibited to hang equipment on the outside of bags or to be carried separately! We will not accept more bags than above mentioned.
The organization will be in charge of transporting these bags. Please make sure that all bags close well and that no gear can fall out.
If you have specific queries relating to pieces of equipment, please send them to us as soon as possible via email@example.com. Decisions will be made available to all teams at regular intervals (without naming the team) as part of our regular team updates.